Monday, April 5, 2010

Moses and the Big 10


On Easter Eve, for the first time in my life, I watched the 1956 movie "The Ten Commandments". Most of you have probably seen this Oscar-winning Cecil B. DeMille epic, but I never had. Though ABC aired it the same night, I watched it on a digitally-remastered DVD and was enthralled. Some liberties were taken, doubtless, but it was nevertheless quite moving - especially the Passover scene as recounted in Exodus, chapter 12 and the crossing of the Red Sea in chapter 14. This morning, I read Psalm 113 and was taken by the fifth and sixth verse which reads "Who is like unto the Lord our GOD who dwelleth on high; who humbleth Himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in earth." Isn't that what happened with Moses and the Israelites? Isn't that what happens with us? Verse 7: "HE raiseth up the poor out of the dust and leadeth the needy out of the dunghill that HE may set him with princes, even the princes of His people." Aren't you thankful GOD still beholds us, raises us up and leads? Me, too.
I took this photo of the Ten Commandments erected in the Library Park of Yuma, Arizona in 2007. I learned today it is still there. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment